Before you get behind the wheel, check around your car to make sure that there are no obstructions, or small children or pets hiding near or behind your car.
Once you get behind the wheel:
- Grab the top of your steering wheel with your left hand.
- Push the brakes.
- Shift to reverse.
- Check to make sure that everything is clear, and there are no children, pets, or animals or traffic coming toward your car from the front or back.
- Release the parking brake.
- Place your right hand on the back of the passenger seat – check again around your car to make sure all is clear.
- Slowly release the brake and very gently push the gas (if needed).
- Keep looking to your left for any obstacles.
- Back up slowly and steadily (do not make a sudden change of movement).
- If you turn the steering wheel to the right, the rear of the car will back up to the right. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, the rear of the car will back up to the left.
- Push the brake gently to stop.
- Shift into park.